Renewable Heat Premium Payment scheme extended

The £300 per solar heating installation subsidy, RHPP, has been extended to 2013. This is a scheme that is aimed at encouraging people to install solar water heating across the UK and also to assist people who are off the gas grid to change over to less carbon intensive ways of heating.

The expected closing date of 1 April 2012 has been extended to April 2013 and more money has been allocated to it as well, with a new larger budget of £25million. This though is split between

  • £10m for a new social landlords’ competition
  • £8m for a new communities competition
  • £7m for an extension of the existing domestic scheme.

Grant levels for individual households remain unchanged. Heat pumps (for off grid homes) will receive 80% of their payment upon completion and the remaining 20%
when they are ‘meter ready’. The £7m household voucher scheme will also include costs to cover
technical monitoring and evaluation.

Pre-registration for the household
voucher scheme will begin on 2nd April, with applications open on 1st
May. Vouchers will be worth the same as before and will cover the same
technologies as the existing scheme

  • Solar thermal hot water panels – £300 grant (available to all households regardless of the type of heating system used.

    Ground Source Heat Pump – £1250 grant (for homes without mains gas heating)

  • Biomass boiler – £950 grant (for homes without mains gas heating)
  • Air source heat pump – £850 grant (for homes without mains gas heating);

Potential new applicants can pre-register with the Energy Savings Trust from Monday 2 April.

Here are the RHPP details at DECC.


However the wider Renewable Heat Incentive has been put back again to the summer of 2013 – further details on the domestic Renewable Heat incentive.