Do you need a new damp course?

3 injected damp proof courses in this house, courtesy of Heritage House

When we buy a house a surveyor will often find high readings on their protimeter (‘damp meter’). This then leads to a recommendation to have a ‘damp proof specialist’ do a report. The mortgage company will insist on having the damp treated. This will mean that the damp specialist will almost invariably diagnose ‘rising damp’ and a recommendation to have an injected DPC (Damp Proof Course) and the removal of the ‘damp’ plaster internally up to a meter high.

This is the common practice that is accepted as industry standard. IT DOES NOT WORK (in many properties)!!!

The picture above shows where a house has been injected 3 times at different periods. When will we learn that it doesn’t work?!?!?!?

Surely just seeing that a wall has been injected three times might indicate that the solution is wrong, but no, we just blindly go on doing the same old thing. Wasting your time and money!

If you have an old house (or even a new one!) use a damp specialist that does not have a DPC to sell you.

There are solutions, but generally DPCs are not one of them. Save your efforts and money for getting a proper solution that works permanently. Happy to assist if needed.