|The render under the window was harder to get off. Attached to cement blocks that we used to fill gap when bay removed|
The front of my house is flat with one large window downstairs. I sort of knew that it was likely that originally there was a bay there given that they exist on other houses in the street. However, it was only when I removed the render from the front (in my bid to stop the rising damp issue) that I confirmed its past existence.
The whole system is a bit of a mess, surprise surprise! The old foundations for the bay were still there, but there were no new real foundations for the new wall. The new cavity wall has been made from a concrete blocks and rendered. A vent was also installed to keep the structure drier (and of course colder!)
To deal with the issue I have, to date, removed the top layer of render and re-applied a lime render. This was mixed with a little cement to help with curing times. I have also installed a render drip to keep the water a little away from the ‘foundations’.
The finish has been matched to the treatment used on the rest of the wall (stone), so this is a lime wash finish.
Next job is to remove more of the current ‘foundations’ and then re-build them with a little more structural integrity.
Ideally I shall re-instate the bay as it would add some character to the front of the house, create a nice seating area next to the window and also allow us to make a more thermally efficient structure. But this might be a longer term ‘aspiration’!